Monday, January 10, 2011

In the Kitchen...

"In the Kitchen, Where I belong" as my hubby would say! Ha!

All of our possessions arrived on Christmas Eve. Yes.....the movers delivered a trunk load of boxes the day before Christmas! We looked at the glass half full on this one. Santa brought us LOTS of boxes with new shiny things. (Thank GOD we didn't have to entertain on Christmas Day) We spent all day Christmas Eve setting up our kitchen (#1 priority), washing bed linens, trying to understand the thick Aussie accents of our movers and downed H20 in that 90 degree heat! At 4 pm, we shut down and made our first meal (and cookies for Santa) with our new shiny things.

These "shiny things" I refer to, are my fabulous, new wedding presents. My wedding registry was definitely focused on the kitchen, thanks to Ludi's advice! And I'm so very thankful! Now, I'm enjoying cooking every day. You'd laugh if you saw the kitchen equipment that the rental company provided. I used it for 2 months. All while reading Julia Child's book. Depressing really! ;)

Another thing we discovered when we moved to Australia ... We cannot find any pita chips and definitely no Stacy's Pita Chips. Silly things like this make us miss home. But once again, we are looking at the glass half full. I am making homemade chips. Good for the waistline as well!

It's really really simple!
Buy pita bread - whole wheat preferred.
Turn on your oven on really high heat (I'm working in Celsius over here. 225 degrees Celsius = about 435 degrees Fahrenheit) on the broiler setting.
Slice bread with a serrated knife into 1-inch slices or triangles. Divide into single pieces/Break the top of loaf from bottom of loaf. So each chip is thin.
Spread out evenly onto a cookie sheet.
Drizzle with olive oil. Depending on how many slices you do, just about 1-2 tablespoons. Lightly drizzle the oil.
Then season to your preference. Ricky and I like a little salt and pepper. I usually add either paprika, cajun, garlic, or BBQ seasoning to ours.
Pop in the oven. Keep a close eye on the chips. Make sure they don't burn. Half way through I shuffle the chips around so the oil and spices get on all the chips. Once lightly brown (10 minutes?), take out of the oven. Serve with hummus and a beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment